Ancestry.com is the largest online genealogy database with 20 billion records from 80 countries. You can trace your lineage and create your virtual family tree through it but you’d have to pay for a pricey subscription.
If you still want to know your family background but don’t want to pay for the service or you want to find something cheaper, we’ve listed the top alternatives to Ancestry.com below.
1. 23 And Me
This DNA test analyzes multiple aspects of your DNA to determine what haplogroups you are part of, and this allows the test to determine where your ancestors are from. Reviewers have had great things to say about it, and we recommend it as well. Here are some of the most important things that you need to know about it:
What Is 23 and Me?
The DNA test is designed so that you spit in a small tube, and this tube is sent off to a lab where your DNA is analyzed. Results will come in the mail quickly, and there are rarely serious delays.
Advantages Of 23 And Me
- One important advantage of 23 and Me is that this ancestry DNA test is that it tests your genetic predisposition to certain diseases.
- Another advantage of it is the relatively affordable price, and this is one thing that has made it quite popular.
- The accuracy of the test is exceptional, and it can determine where your ancestors lived as much as 500 years in the past.
- It’s a great test for family planning, and this can help to ensure that you and your kids are able to lead a healthy life.
Disadvantages Of 23 And Me
- A few people found that it was impossible to access the data that they loaded, and this made it impossible to accurately view their results.
- If the sample that is sent in isn’t large enough, the company may not give a refund, and this can create a significant wasted expense in some cases.
How Much Does 23 and Me Cost?
The ancestry test alone is 99 dollars, and this is fairly affordable when compared to other DNA tests. If you get the ancestry test along with a detailed look at how your DNA affects your health, it will cost you 199 dollars, and this plan is often recommended.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online retailers that sell products and services. If you click on one and buy something, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See my Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
You can check it out the different options on their website by clicking here.
2. My Heritage
My Heritage is different than any other ancestry tests, and it allows you to access a database for a period of time rather than just giving you DNA test results. We strongly recommend it.
What Is MyHeritage?
My Heritage is a popular company that offers DNA testing and access to a genealogy database.
Advantages Of MyHeritage
- Access to the database and the DNA test are relatively affordable, and this is one of the most common reasons why people choose it.
- It’s possible to get a free trial of the website, and this lasts for 14 days.
Disadvantages Of MyHeritage
- While My Heritage is a great way to learn about your ancestry, it does not allow you to have the same understanding of your health markers as other ancestry testing methods.
- Unfortunately, some people have given My Heritage negative reviews.
How Much Does MyHeritage Cost?
Actually, it’s possible to access the My Heritage database for free, but you can get a plan that includes advanced DNA features for 110 dollars per year. There are even more advanced plans available as well, but they will cost you more.
You can check it out all the options here.
If you are looking for a highly accurate and detailed ancestry detection service, you might be interested in Find My Past, and we highly recommend this highly rated service. Here’s why:
What Is FindMyPast?
While many ancestry search services just allow you to get an analysis of your DNA, this one allows you to analyze your entire family tree.
Advantages Of FindMyPast
- The website allows you to search through more than two billion records, and this makes it much easier to pinpoint family members.
- The site’s DNA test is considered to be the most advanced one available.
- In addition to allowing you to access public records, the site also grants access to historical newspaper articles.
Disadvantages Of FindMyPast
- Some people feel that the number of records is not sufficient, and they feel that this prevented them from understanding their family tree.
- While it has gotten good reviews on Trustpilot at 7.1 out of 10, this is not the highest rated company.
How Much Does It Cost?
It actually is possible to try out the service for free, and they offer a 14-day free trial. However, it’s also possible to get their service for a fairly affordable price of $14.95-$19.95 per month or $129-$179 per year.
Here’s a link to the site to check out all the options available, including the free trial.
If you’re looking for a great website to learn about your ancestry, we strongly feel that you should consider Mocavo. Mocavo is now coming together with FindMyPast, and this will help to make the test much more accurate.
What Is Movaco?
Mocavo is a great website to learn more about your ancestry, and it allows you to learn from a large amount of DNA and ancestry records. In addition, the service is affordable.
Advantages Of Mocavo
- Mocavo is exceptionally easy to use, and this means that it’s possible to use it even if you don’t have a strong knowledge of these types of accounts.
- Mocavo does not allow publishing, and you can’t export family trees if you get the free plan.
Disadvantages Of Mocavo
- Some people feel that the site is not good for individuals who do not have experience with similar apps, and this can make it less than preferable for some people.
- Furthermore, customer support is reported to be less than ideal, and this has been frustrating for some people.
How Much Does Movaco Cost?
The price of the service depends on what service you get, but it also depends on whether you are paying for the service monthly or annually. If you pay for the service annually, it is less expensive. In general, the service will cost you somewhere around 7 to 9 dollars per month, and you have access to a seven-day free trial.
5. We Relate
We Relate makes it possible to access an app, and this allows you to do research on your ancestry on the go. We Relate is a family tree website.
This means that it is possible to learn information about your family tree by researching the site’s database, and the database is quite extensive. Here’s why we feel that this is a great service to consider:
What Is We Relate?
The We Relate database features many different types of records, and some examples of them are birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Advantages Of We Relate
- There are tutorials that show you how you can use the database, and this is quite different from many other ancestry websites.
- You can collaborate with other people to learn more about your heritage.
Disadvantages Of We Relate
- While it often is reported to be easy to use, this may or may not be the case for you, and a few people found it challenging to use.
- You may need to access other genealogy websites in order to find information about your relatives.
- The service is somewhat less popular than other Ancestry.com alternatives.
How Much Does We Relate Cost?
Unlike most genealogy databases, accessing We Relate is free.
During the dark times of slavery, record keeping of the ancestry of many African American families was inadequate and tends to be difficult to access. However, numerous people have effectively traced their family tree with AfriGeneas, and we feel that it’s a great option.
What Is AfriGeneas?
The website does not offer a DNA test, but it is a database. Therefore, it makes it possible to learn about your ancestors who lived in America, but it isn’t an ideal tool for learning about extremely distant ancestors.
Advantages Of AfriGeneas
- Accessing the database is easy, and it contains a substantial number of records.
- You will have access to records from individual states.
- The forum website features a significant amount of posts, and this can allow you to connect with others who share similar genetics.
- AfriGeneas has been around for quite some time, and this gives strong assurance that it’s reputable. In fact, research for the project was taking place in the 1980s, and it took place for more than ten years.
Disadvantages Of AfriGeneas
- It isn’t quite as popular as some other options, and the website only receives a few hundred visitors per day.
- The fact that it is not a DNA test means that it won’t be able to give in-depth information about your health.
How Much Does AfriGeneas Cost?
Actually, forum registration is free, and this is not the case with many other genealogy websites. However, some of the resources that are recommended have an expense associated with them, and the cost varies depending on the specific resource that you access.